2 a part of the city far removed from the center; "they built a factory on the outskirts of the city" [syn: outskirt]
3 a social group holding marginal or extreme views; "members of the fringe believe we should be armed with guns at all times"
4 edging consisting of hanging threads or tassels
1 adorn with a fringe; "The weaver fringed the scarf"
2 decorate with or as if with a surrounding fringe; "fur fringed the hem of the dress"
- a UK /fɹɪndʒ/ /frIndZ/
- Outside the mainstream
- A decorative border.
- A marginal or peripheral part.
- Those members of a political party etc. holding unorthodox views.
- The periphery of a town or city.
- That part of the hair that hangs down over the eyes (US bangs).
- A light or dark band formed by the diffraction of light.
- (The Fringe) non-mainstream theatre.
Fringe may refer to:
- Ideas, individuals, organizations, cultures and movements viewed as marginal or extremist by the mainstream
- Fringe (trim), an ornamental appendage to the border of an item
- Fringe (hair), a hairstyling term also called bangs
- Edinburgh Fringe, The largest arts festival in the world
- Fringe (TV series), a forthcoming TV series by J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman starring Joshua Jackson
- Fringe Product, a record label
- Fringe tree, a genus of flowering plants
- The Fringe, a music group
- The setting for the computer game Tachyon: The Fringe
- Counterculture, also known as fringe culture
- Fringe science, scientific inquiry departing significantly from mainstream theories
- Fringe theatre, a term used to describe alternative theatre
- Fringe Benefits, in business various non-wage compensations
adjoin, apparent, bang, bangs, bank, beading, befringe, bind, binding, board, border, bordering, bordure, bound, boundary, bounds, brim, brink, brow, circumference, coast, cortex, cortical, covering, crust, decoration, define, edge, edging, enframe, envelope, epidermic, epidermis, exomorphic, exterior, external, extrinsic, facade, face, facet, featheredge, fetlock, fimbria, fimbriation, flange, fleck, flock, flounce, forelock, frame, frill, frilling, front, furbelow, galloon, hem, integument, labellum, labium, labrum, lap, ledge, limb, limbus, limits, line, lineaments, lip, list, march, marches, marge, margin, marginate, motif, open, ornament, out, outer, outer face, outer layer, outer side, outer skin, outermost, outline, outlying, outmost, outside, outskirts, outstanding, outward, outward-facing, perimeter, peripheral, periphery, public, purfle, purl, quiff, ragged edge, rickrack, rim, rind, roundabout, ruche, ruff, ruffle, seeming, selvage, set off, shell, shore, side, sideline, skin, skirt, skirting, superficial, superficies, superstratum, surface, surround, top, trim, trimming, tuft, valance, verge, welt